5 Day Advanced 4x4 Mobility Training
A five day course with OEX, at either of our locations, will redefine the way your team moves through substandard conditions. Our linear and methodical teaching style allows for a steep learning curve while establishing driver proficiency and vehicle safety.
For decades OEX has sought to develop a curriculum based on situations most commonly encountered in the field. Through feedback from numerous Special Operations groups, we have put together a five day curriculum that is tried and true. Daytime operation in all potential terrains, NVG evolutions, complex recovery, in depth field repair, and troubleshooting diesel mechanics are just a part of what your team will have mastered after five days of training. OEX's experienced and professional staff is dedicated to teaching all operators driver proficiency, safe recovery, and field repair necessary to ensure mission success.
We instruct our clients and make best use of the time we have. While trial and error is a way to learn, it is not a teaching method on which to rely. Do you want your doctor to have learned by trial and error do you? We have developed the most effective method through experience as well as close contact with the teams we have trained. We allow mistakes and allow students to push the envelope to the maximum; we encourage this. But then we educate them based on their learning styles and personalities, why there is a more effective way. Trial and error is limited and tends to develop bad habits. It is not truly teaching. Our goal is to have a student understand How, Why and When to drive any obstacle encountered even if they have never seen it before. To do this you have to teach fundamentals that lead to higher skills in a linear step process.
This 5 day class is designed to thoroughly prepare your team with the ability to operate a wide variety of vehicle platforms in the most challenging terrain possible. The 5 day class allows for much greater depth of subject material from driving proficiency, complex recovery, and field repair. This class, while it has changed over the years, has been our corner stone class offering to Special Operation Forces, Government Defense Departments, and tactical teams for over a decade. The 5 day curriculum is continuously updated from feedback from prior graduates. As a result, OEX sets the standard for the challenges that drivers confront throughout the world.
Completion of OEX's Advance Four Wheel Drive Techniques will enable operation team members to gain the skill sets to:
- Operate any vehicle platform under the most challenging situations
- Assess terrain, routes, and "roads" as to their suitability for a particular platform and/or mission–Macro Landscape
- Analyze terrain and obstacles, and determine the smartest way through, over, or around–Micro Landscape
- Effectively, safely, and quickly extract "stuck or "downed" vehicle using a large variety of recovery equipment or improvised local equipment
- Assess potential vehicle damage and act proactively to secure the best results for the team's goals and objectives
- Repair common vehicle mechanical failures in the field with a limited or non-existent tool choice-Increasing the vehicle viability threshold
- Reliably and predictably operate under a time-line goal for a mission or movement
- Reduce "out of vehicle" time through better and planning and subject know how
- Adapt to vehicle platform changes instantaneously as well as transfer driving, recovery and repair skill sets to standard 4x4 and non-4x4 military vehicles
- Enhance basic understanding of On Road vehicle dynamics through Off Road vehicles operation mastery
- Operate safely and reliably under nighttime conditions with or without Night Vision Equipment
- Ability to operate safely and reliably under various environmental and weather related fluctuations
- Form team members into a cohesive off-road driving group through analysis of team mates skills, vehicle platforms, convoy standards, etc..
- Safely assess a vehicle type and condition (running gear, drive train, engine ands type, tire and type, accessories/modifications and type, general condition, tool set…) and determine the best option for the mission – reliability, "fixability", basic off road ability, noise level, weaknesses and strengths.
Variability leads to adaptability. Adaptability leads to mastery.
Mobility relies on driver proficiency, safe recovery techniques, and vehicle repair aptitude.
- Class length of 5 Days
- Group sizes of 12 or fewer
- Trainer to student ratio of 1:4 or TBA
- More terrain choices do to less time constraints
- Methodical, progressive, and linear training with troubleshooting and repetition
- Thousands of acres and miles of purpose built terrain and natural terrain.
- Vehicle fleet of over 25 which represents actual platforms and models most often encountered in the field
- Vehicles vary in type
- HiLux, Land Cruiser, Land Rover, Jeep, etc……
- Turbo 4 cyl diesel to gas V8 automatics – continuum
- Different manufacture years 1980s – 2011
- Vehicles all used in conjunction: allows fast comparison of skill differences needed.
- Right hand drive and left hand drive vehicles used in conjunction>
- Training areas not open to the public
- Recovery taught in all its forms with use various equipment, both standard and improvised.
- Problem solving field expedient damage assessment and repair to mesh driver understanding: Bad driving equals downtime and downtime equals exposure
- Team can push the envelope of terrain drivable by non-standard and standard 4x4 vehicles
- Practice, practice, practice
- Heavy concentration on repair and recovery
- Final Training Exercise to asses proficiency in all subject areas
5 days. 0800-1600. NVG one night, 2300 to completion
This class is available at any of our OEX branches. In addition the OEX Worldwide Mobile Training Team can come to your location (Note see: On site training – OEX Worldwide Mobile Training Team for specifics) anywhere in the world for this and/or our other courses.
This class is designed for 12 individuals or fewer. We find this to be the best number to ensure prolonged driver proficiency. Fewer than five trainees negates the purpose of group based learning and fails to achieve mastery of the skill set.
It is possible to run two sets of classes congruently. One team can train at the VA location while the other trains at the CT location. We can also bring in OEX Worldwide Mobile Training Team to your location.
It is common that we have a team or part of a team that is more advanced. In this case we have a class designed just for this. The class can run at the same time as the regular 4x4 Mobility, but it is a separate class with separate goals, objectives, costs and billing. The advantage of the two classes of 6 individuals each running simultaneously is that budget limits for team members constrained by credit card; classes are billed 100% separately. Please click here if you are interested.
This course is designed to allow military groups to train to the fullest. Normally OEX will contract for this class. Long-term contracts will allow for cost savings on our part that we can pass on to your group.
Teams of 6 can avoid contacting limitations and pay via credit card.
Please contact us for specific pricing for your specific team's needs.